Sunday, January 1, 2017

Last but First

London, England, UK
                   
London was not only the last city in the United Kingdom that we had left to perform in and at the O2 at that!  But it was also where we concluded 2016.  However, even though it was last, it was also first too.  I know it sounds a bit strange, but London was also where we spent the first days of the new year. 

And for a nice change we actually had the holidays off this year.  We only had two shows on Christmas Eve, but Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve, and New Year’s Day were off!  This is the first time, since we opened the show three years ago that we had the holidays off.  And even though I was not able to fly home to celebrate with my family and friends, we were all able to celebrate here together properly.


Making it feel a little like home, on Christmas Eve we had a relaxing evening after the shows and ordered dinner and spent the night in and watched movies and come Christmas morning we slept in and woke up to turning on the Christmas lights and the tree and it was time to open presents.  Then, it was a full afternoon of watching holiday movies followed by getting ready for dinner.  We were able to celebrate together and fill our tummies.  Letting everything settle, it was time to visit and take pictures before heading back to watch more festive movies.  And before I knew, it was time to facetime home and watch my family open their gifts and chat with everyone that was still at Christmas dinner.  And even though it is hard to be away from home, it’s even harder during the holiday season, but with all the technological advances, it does make it a little bit easier.  Always a great way to end the holiday night. 


As for New Year’s Eve, well it definitely became more like a family tradition from home with pizza for dinner and movies.  Even though we had full intentions of going to Primrose Hill to watch the fireworks, we ended up in the hotel for the night surrounded by friends with a full horizon view of the pyrotechnics.  We rang in the new year away from the crowds, busy streets, and in the comforts of a heated hotel room, just as I would do at home, minus the hotel room part. 


I would have to say that New Year’s day had to the biggest difference being on the road to being at home.  At home we always have dinner at 1 o’clock at my Grandma’s where not only are we celebrating the holiday, but also her birthday as well.  We always have pork and sauerkraut and we must have a bite of the “Good Luck Pretzel” as she says and not until this year, did I find out that the pork and sauerkraut tradition are just a Pennsylvania thing.  I really thought everyone else did the same.  Oh well, Grandma knows best and after all, it is her birthday too!


Without those good luck charms, I hope I can make it until I return home for break and we can recreate the holidays so that there will be good luck in my future for the remaining part of 2017.  Until then, my fingers will be crossed. 


At this point in time though, I would say I was feeling pretty lucky being able to travel the world and perform for a living and in doing so, I was able to be in London for two weeks over the holidays.  It was a true blessing amongst other things that I am thankful for. 


From seeing the London Eye, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, St. James Park, China Town, SOHO, Westminster Abbey, Trafalgar Square, the Parliament Houses, Leicester Square and the Christmas Market, to even being able to see Phantom of the Opera it was just absolutely amazing.  And what was even more breathtaking were the lights at Piccadilly Circus, Covent Garden, and Oxford Street.  The city itself decorates the streets so magnificently over here that it is a sight that you must see in itself. 


Being able to take in all these sights has been great and to be honest, I really don’t want to leave.  London has been a great city for me and minus the fact that it is so busy here I really do enjoy it.  There is so much to see and do here that there is no way that you would ever get bored and the fact that the holidays are so family based is a blessing.  It was a breath of fresh air to see that some traditions in some places are still intact. 


Until next time London, and I will be back, off to Sweden for now. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment