Monday, February 6, 2017

Little Things

Stavanger, Norway

I have come to realize that even though for the past three and a half years and a few months that I have been on the road, I have been in and out cities on the regular and it still doesn’t amount to growing up a country girl.  Just like the Alabama song says, “You can take me out of the country, but you can’t take the country outta me.”


While most chose to venture into the city center, I decided to explore the open, free air and the path less traveled around a beautiful lake.  Here, I came across all types of people and even had some time on my own with not a sole around.  It was a great little escape.  A true breath of fresh air.  It was the little break that I was needing.  I could feel the sun on my skin, the chilly breeze on my face, and breathe in the crisp air that didn’t taste or smell of exhaust fumes or other odors.  Instead, there was the sound of running water, the wind blowing in the trees, and the crunch of small branches and leaves under my feet as I hit the ground.  I was in my happy place.  Nothing else mattered.  I live for moments like these.  My trip around the lake was just what I needed. 


I pushed myself to keep up with some of the other runners, I stopped to take pictures, I finished strong, I protected my neighborhood (Famous words of the Famous Coach Papa – anyone from Slippery Rock Cross-Country reading this knows all about this), and just thoroughly enjoyed it.  It was the best run that I have had in a long time and I did it just for me and let my mind be free. 


Thank you Stavanger, Norway and your beautiful lakes for making me realize again what it’s like to appreciate the little things and how something so small can mean the world.  You made me genuinely happy and at peace during a busy time of year and it was just what I needed feel rejuvenated and start again. 


And even though the audiences were small, there was perfectly good reason.  This area was known for its Oil Rigs and within the last year the industry has slowed causing a layoff of 60,000 people out of about 128,000 people.  This story is all too familiar to me with the same type things happening back home. 


But somehow, each crowd seemed to make it feel special.  From the audience Saturday night that applauded in finale until we all left the ice and the curtains closed, to the security personnel that sat in the upstage right corner who didn’t miss a chance to wave to each and every one of us and return a blown kiss in our direction or catch one of our kisses, you truly touched us.  You are what makes our job easy and for that matter, you are the one that kept us going. 


Here’s to a week of noticing the little things!


Next stop, a new country…Finland.


No comments:

Post a Comment