Monday, May 25, 2015

BAMA

Birmingham, Alabama

We arrived to our next destination early in the morning around 5 AM, so most of my time was spent asleep or trying to sleep on the bus, so sightseeing on our trip really wasn’t something that happened.  When I awoke again later that day and looked out my hotel window, what I saw was definitely not what I expected to see.


I anticipated seeing open land, lots of grass, and farmland, but instead we were right down town and surrounded by concrete.  Maybe I had the wrong picture of what I thought Alabama may have been like, but highways, bridges, high-rise buildings, and little to no green grass, definitely sent my mind for a trip; along with the fact that Uber did not exist here either so we all went a little frantic. 


You never realize how dependent you are on something until it isn’t around anymore.  I know that we only used to have taxis, but this really demonstrated why we all like Uber so much more.  It allows you to call and speak to the driver specifically and see the car in route to you as well as the route you will be taken to your destination; these taxis on the other hand, would not show up, ran really late, took you the farthest distance possible just to increase the price you owed, and topping it all off the call station directors were insulting or didn’t even bother to answer their phones.  Needless to say we all really were not exactly happy, but we made it work.


While some chose to stay close to hotel and not deal with the taxicabs, others ventured out a little.  There were a few good shopping districts around as well as a cute downtown area with a few small parks. 


However, I was still wishing we were in an area like the one depicted in the movie “Sweet Home Alabama”.  I think we could all use a little bit of country in our busy lives right now.



Until then, we are headed to South Carolina for THREE days off!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment