Tuesday, March 7, 2017

La Capital

Madrid, Spain


So, I can already say that I want to come back and the week hadn’t even finished yet.  From the weather to the people to the beautiful architecture, there is so much to see and so much that I still wanted to see.  The sun was shining bright and the temperature was warm enough that just a light jacket on most days was enough.   This lifted everyone’s moods and spirits.  I mean after about six weeks in the some of the coldest places known to man-kind; Scandinavia, this was such a nice reward.


There was so much shopping in almost every direction that you turned, but one of my favorite places to visit was Rico’s Tacos.  I literally went once every day that we were there.  Not only was the food amazing, but the people were even more touching.  They were the kind of people that make you feel like you are a part of the family even when you have no ties to them whatsoever.  I mean, they even let me try to speak the little Spanish I do know and would actually take the time to listen to me and teach me more.  Then, it became more like a lesson.  I would say what I would like in Spanish and they would ask what each item was in English.  It seems as if those of us that are a little shyer at trying to speak a little in another language have more of an opportunity to attempt here in Spain that what I did when I went to Mexico.   


But that wasn’t all, walking through the city center and past the Royal Palace, the largest church and chapel in Madrid, down the longest shopping street, having lunch in the market square, taking a flamenco class and watching a show filled the days with excitement.   However, that still didn’t even come close to the being reunited with a friend from tour that used to be performing with us. 


She was our tour guide for the day, Patty Sanchez, and the one that really made it feel like home.  I can’t wait to come back again! 


My favorite place that I wondered to was a park in the middle of the city.  It is the equivalent of Central Park in New York City, but here in Madrid, it was El Retiro Park.  From the exquisite statues, to the quiet stone paths, to the large fountains scattered through the park, to the lake that was so inviting, you just wanted to keep walking more and more to see what else was going to be at the end of the road.  From quiet spring overflows, to palm trees swaying in the breeze, you just wanted to stop for a short rest and take it all in.  Had there been more time, I would have stayed longer and came back every day if I could.  It was by far, my favorite place in the city. 


I will return Madrid; one day I will return.  Until then, the bus departs and we are on our way to Barcelona. 




No comments:

Post a Comment