Sunday, December 27, 2015

Holiday Spirit

Ontario, California

Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas.

So, this is year number two on the road where I have not been able to make it home and I know that for a lot of others it was the same way all things considered.  We had two shows on Christmas Eve and two on Christmas Day as well, but that did not dampen our spirits.  If anything, we were all full of holiday joy and smiling from ear to ear.  Yes, we were all missing our families, but we had the greatest gift of all; we were someone else’s gift.  We were able to perform for so many and bring them cheer and see their faces light up and that is the best gift of all. 



That along with the fact that most of us all called or video chatted with our families before the show and even though we may not be able to be there in person, seeing everyone else and the celebrations taking place at home lifted all of our spirits. 


And then came the gift giving on our part.  From the make up room presents to the surprise presents no one ever expects to the Secret Santa gifts everyone was trying to find that one person to make smile for the day.  But no one can forget the gifts that came from home in the mail from either friends or family.

My personal favorite was a box that I received on the 11th of December and I was given special instructions from not only my Mom, Dad, Grammie, and Sister, but also from Santa.  I was to only open presents starting on December 14th.  Further instructions read that I was to open the appropriate date in accordance with the number on the package in the right order.  I couldn’t open more than one either.


After a few days I came to realize that my family had re-created the 12 days of Christmas for me and were giving me my own Home-Away-from-Home Christmas.  Not only did I receive decorations for the room and candy canes, but I was also given things to make it feel as if I was with them.  They made special reindeer food that we always set out for Santa’s reindeer (oatmeal and glitter) and even included me in the games that we play.  Of course its like the game show Deal or No Deal and clearly I didn’t choose right because I ended up with the penny.  At least it wasn’t an orange.  (Family joke)


However, the fun wasn’t over yet.  There was still the Christmas class, the group photo, more gift giving, our very own Christmas Eve Potluck, and our Gingerbread House making contest Boys vs. Girls.  We carried out the holiday spirit for the rest of the week even without the snow this year. 

Next stop…Long Beach for the New Year celebration!




No comments:

Post a Comment